A watchdog has endorsed a new scheme under which a bone marrow-cancer drug’s manufacturers would refund the NHS if a patient did not respond to treatment.
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence is recommending multiple myeloma patients in Wales and England should get Velcade on the NHS.
- A debilitating form of bone marrow cancer
- It is currently incurable, but treatable
- A cancer of the plasma cells, found in the bone marrow
- Incidence increasing faster than any other cancer in Western world – up 30% in 30 years
- 20,000 myeloma patients in the UK at any one time
Further information about myeloma on the Myeloma UK website.