- is a classic example of a laste Victorian suburb
- had a cinema between 1938 and 1972 (the building was demolished in 2003)
- was bombed heavily in World War II during the Blitz and by V1 and V2 flying bombs
- had electric trams until 1952
- was originally in the county of Surrey and in 1965 became part of the new borough of Southwark
- was gentrified in the 1990s!
according to this timeline on southlondonguide.co.uk.