For those taking the leap, and anyone else considering it, from designer Jon Hicks, some words of inspiration and a helpful note on photocopying VAT returns!
Its been wonderful, and I don’t think I could go back to work for someone else, but why didn’t anyone tell me:
- You would be working A LOT. More than you thought.
- That dealing with emails, quotes and enquiries would be more time-consuming than doing the accounts
- That you have to keep a photocopy of each VAT return – not just a printout from your accounting software, but of the actual return. Whoops.
- That strange distant mumbling is the sound of you talking to yourself.
- That in the first couple of months I would be so nervous and lacking in confidence that I would be sick.
Never mind, I soon found out.